Table of Contents
Ultherapy is a popular skin tightening procedure. The procedure originally performed to treat this tumor was also reported to be safe for aesthetic purposes. Learn about the benefits of Ultherapy treatment.
In tightening facial skin, several actions and procedures can be an option. One that is on the rise is the Ultherapy treatment, an aesthetic procedure without using an incision. What are the advantages of a facelift?
What is Ultherapy treatment?
Ultherapy treatment is a facial treatment procedure that is still relatively new. In addition to aesthetic needs, Ultherapy is a procedure performed by doctors to treat tumors. Ulterha/Ultherapy treatment is an aesthetic procedure for skin strengthening that is non-invasive (no incisions are made into the body) and does not cause pain. This procedure uses ultrasonic energy to promote collagen production for firmer-looking skin.
The ultrasonic energy will target the skin tissue beneath the top layer. This energy triggers the skin soft tissue to warm up and will cause cellular ‘damage’. This damage will stimulate cells to generate extra collagen. With the increased collagen, the skin will look firmer. Wrinkles on the face will also be reduced.
The benefits of Ultherapy treatment for the face
With the main principles above, Ultherapy has several benefits for the skin. The benefits of the Ultherapy treatment can be:
- Reduce wrinkles
- Tighten weak skin on the collar
- Helps lift brasses, supercilia, and lids
- Refines the jawline
- Tighten the décolletage (upper chest area including neckline and cleavage)
- Smooth skin
However, not everyone is suitable for Ultherapy treatment. This procedure is effective for people over the age of 30 with mild to moderate skin damage. Meanwhile, people with severe skin damage will need several procedures before experiencing the results. Elderly people with very severe skin problems may not be suitable for Ultherapy and require surgery, to better meet expectations.
Steps for the procedure to undergo Ultherapy treatment
Because it is non-invasive, Ultherapy treatment does not require special preparation for the patient. You are only required to clean your face of makeup and skincare products before Ultherapy is performed. During the Ultherapy procedure, the patient will undergo the following steps:
- The doctor cleanses the point spot on the face and applies a relevant analgesic cream before starting.
- The doctor or nurse then applies the ultrasonic gel.
- The Ultherapy device is then placed on the skin.
- The doctor or treatment then adapts the method to the proper setting, using an ultrasonic viewer.
- Ultrasonic power is also sent to a target area on the face for about 90 minutes.
- The Ultherapy device is then removed from the patient’s skin.
The patient may feel heat and tingling when the ultrasonic energy is administered. The doctor will give painkillers if needed. When this is done, the patient will be allowed to go back home and continue daily activities as soon as the Ultherapy procedure is performed. If additional treatment is needed, the doctor will schedule the next treatment.
Ultherapy risks and side effects, are there any?
Ultherapy treatment is a very safe procedure, as long as it is carried out by skilled and competent professionals. In rare cases, the patient may feel short-term coldness or bruise. These side impacts are typically gone after a few days. During the Ultherapy procedure, the patient may experience some discomfort. The doctor may prescribe pain relievers such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen before the procedure. The patient may also experience mild swelling or redness shortly after the procedure. However, these effects wear off after a few hours. Best of all, Ultherapy patients can go home and go about their daily activities after the procedure is complete.
Ultherapy vs Facelift
Ultherapy differs from a facelift, a procedure that both aims to tighten facial skin. Here are the pluses and minuses of Ultherapy and a facelift that you can consider:
- Invasive, which requires an incision in the facial skin
- Recovery time is about 4 weeks
- Risks: risk of anesthesia, blood loss, infection, blood blobs, pain and damage, hair failure in the opening area
- Effectiveness: 97% of patients reported an excellent or above-expected improvement in facial appearance within one year, according to a study in the journal Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
- Fast recovery time allows the patient to go straight to activities a few hours after the procedure
- risk: mild redness and swelling
- Effectiveness: 94% of patients described improved skin appearance after 3 months, in research published in the journal Annals of Dermatology
Ultherapy treatment is an aesthetic procedure that is reported to be safe and successful for tightening facial skin. The side effects are relatively small and the patient can go straight to their activities after undergoing this procedure. However, this procedure will work effectively for people over 30 years with skin problems that are not too big.